Thursday, July 2, 2009

Say What?

Maybe you could say I'm just a tad nosey. There is a little bit of that in all of us, like when you're sitting in the airport or a restaurant and overhear an interesting conversation. I am finding the conversations I overhear in this part of the country are especially unique. Sometimes I'll even butt into the conversation to instigate a little. I'll stop keeping them to myself and share these gems.

This was a conversation I overheard in the waiting room at the doctor's office. This was between a man that we'll call "Rebel" (his entire back was covered with a rebel flag tattoo, which I could see through the large arm holes in his muscle shirt....nice) and a woman that we'll call Jane (she was normal). These two did not know each other prior to the waiting room.

Rebel: My wife is having lots of weird cravins'.
Jane: Oh really? Like what?
Rebel: .........but that's nothin' compared to the cravins' my momma had when she was pregnant with me.
Me: Ooooo, do tell!
Rebel: When she was pregnant with me, she craved dirt.
Jane & Me: WHAT?
Rebel: Yeah, she would go outside and sift the dirt so she wouldn't chew on no rocks. That's all she wanted to eat....dirt.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I just peek in from time to time on ur blog from ashley evans blog! I had to comment on this one! My friends mom craved dirt when she was pg also! I had never heard of that before so I thought it was funny that you said that! The joys of pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is actually a medical condition that happens sometimes during pregnancy...when I was student teaching in Roswell one of my students told me that the previous night he had gone outside to fetch his mom a bowl of dirt to eat. The school counselor had to educate me about the strange craving. weird huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wacky!...I wonder how many calories are in dirt? :)

    ReplyDelete