Thursday, March 12, 2009

STATE of Confusion

DISCLAIMER: MOM, IF YOU READ THIS YOU CANNOT GET MAD AT ME FOR MAKING FUN OF YOU.


So about my Mom. I had always thought she was a little confused. She is a smart and loving full time mom of 4 kids that balances a busy work schedule with ease, yet she never seemed to understand which state she was living in . . . geographically speaking. She has been a New Mexico resident going on 17 years, but you would never know it by walking into her house and especially her backyard.


I give you exhibit A:

There is a lot more where this came from, but you get the point. I have always given her a hard time for this. It wasn't just in the way she decorated her house, it was in everything she did. For instance, we used to load up the suburban and make the 10 hour drive from New Mexico to see our grandparents in East Texas. We would listen to the song "God Blessed Texas" and if any of us kids made a single sound (impossible), she would start the song over again. This resulted in listening to "God Blessed Texas" for almost half of the trip. TRUE STORY!

I just couldn't understand her love and absolute devotion to the state of Texas even though she didn't live there.

This week I realized that this is just one more thing my mom and I have in common. History does repeat itself. This realization came after fully decorating Brad's office in all things Texas (per his request) and making sure there is a spot in every room in our house that proclaims my love for New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment. I'll be the only resident in Tennessee with ristras, luminarias, kokopellis, and genuine love for green chile.

"Oh! Fair New Mexico, we love, we love you so,Our hearts with pride o're flow,No matter where we go.Oh! Fair New Mexico, we love, we love you so,The grandest state we know — NEW MEXICO!"
- New Mexico state song chorus.


4 comments:

  1. Actually I LOVE IT! You probably remember me saying, you can take me out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of me! Thus we have lots of Texas stuff! I am enjoying watching you turn into your mom, it happens to the best of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, We got your new cell phone # but it says the voice mail hasn't been set up! Grandpa and Granny were here over the weekend and we tried to call you.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm, as the who is older, yet not wiser, i forgot to tell you about a transformation that happens as time goes on.....we turn into our mothers!!!!!! ...as much as i am like my father, i have developed a lot of ways like Sandra Jean!!!! funny how as we get older we realize just how much our mothers know!!!! smart women!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay Alicia, Maybe your mom kept playing God Blessed Texas just to keep you guys quiet? I think I'm going to store that one away! It sounds like a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete