Monday, February 16, 2009

You might be a redneck...

I'm learning that things are done a little different around here...

For instance, I didn't fully appreciate the convenience of having our garbage picked up once a week when we lived in Texas. I went to the local water company to take care of getting our account set-up because they could only process this in person (not too convenient), and I figured they would be able to help me set up or find out about trash pick-up. When I asked the kind lady about this she gave me a puzzled look like I had just blown her mind with some new and cutting edge idea. No help.

We asked our neighbor what he was doing. This lead to complicated directions to a nearby dump, but if you don't have TN tags on your car, "They'll come after you." Yikes, and no thanks.

Finally, I called the city and they gave me a phone number for a private trash pick-up company. I was happy to find a service that would come pick up our trash once a week! Success! Now I did find it interesting when the man with a thick southern accent told me that I "would receive a bill every 2 months, maybe 3 months sometimes." Hmmm.?.?.? They may not have a process but at least I will not have to pile it in my car or burn my trash like everyone else . I expected to see a normal garbage truck this morning, but this is what we got instead. I couldn't help but laugh and think to myself, we aren't in Texas anymore.

2 comments:

  1. after reading this, i think i just found a great small business opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia! I am so glad that you found our blog! I look forward to keeping up with you and Brad in Tenn! This will be such a wonderful adventure! Enjoy this sweet time together!!

    ReplyDelete